Rosalind Paget (1855-1948)
Rosalind Paget was named Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in 1935. She studied nursing at Westminster Hospital, London, and received a midwifery diploma from the London Obstetrical Society. A founding member of the Midwives’ Institute, now the Royal College of Midwives, Paget worked to give midwives a sense of respectability in society and campaigned for many years for midwives to be listed on a national register. She was rewarded in 1902 with the Midwives Act.
Paget was the first Inspector of District Nurses in 1890, working to provide training, support and maintenance for district nurses treating the poor. She was instrumental in establishing regulation of complementary therapies. Paget founded Nursing Notes in 1887 and co-edited the journal for 40 years. After her publishing company was closed in 1997, the remaining funds were donated to the Iolanthe Midwifery Trust, which awards projects that progress practice through the holistic care of women and families.